Oh cheesy bread buffs... we first got acquainted when my husband and I were at a Brazilian Restaurant named "Fogo de Chao" a couple weeks ago for the CrossFit HQ Trainer Summit. "Fogo de Chao" means "fire on the ground" in Portuguese and came from when Brazilian cowboys would cook their meals (meat) literally "on a fire on the ground". I LOVE knowing what names mean!
Anyways... this Brazilian steakhouse was BEYOND amazing. As a group, the 200 CrossFitters ate over 300 lbs. of meat. Yup. Not a typo. 300 POUNDS. But before that happened, the waiters brought out the "cheesy bread", and upon finding out that it was gluten free (and double checking because it seemed just TOO good to be true), we devoured about 3 baskets full of these between the two of us. Not kidding.
I can't express HOW GOOD these little nuggets of cheese were... you are just going to have to try them yourself! Needless to say I went home and IMMEDIATELY tried to find a recipe for these! I finally found one from Simply Recipes by Elise Bauer after a couple more adaptations, we now have access to a gluten free/paleo cheesy bread! In fact, it's a little bit dangerous now that I know the recipe...
The main ingredient/tool that might be more "unusual" is the necessity of Tapioca Flour (see my links below of where to get it) and a MINI muffin tin! I did also try this recipe with a regular muffin tin, and got good results, but the BEST results are with a mini muffin tin. Plus then you have like a million more mini cheesy breads to eat and you don't feel so bad because they are small! HAHA horrible justification, but I know you were thinking it...
Gluten Free Cheesy Bread
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 15-30 minutes Servings: 6
1 Organic Cage-Free Egg (allowed to warm to room temperature)
1/3 c. Olive Oil
2/3 c. Almond Milk (unflavored)
1 1/2 c. (or 170 grams*) Tapioca Flour (You can find it here on Amazon or also at a Whole Foods or Sprouts)
1/2 c. (or 70 Grams*) grated cheese - "Queso Fresco" is the best for this. If you want to completely "Paleoify" this recipe, or can't have cheese, sub this out for non-dairy or nut cheese (they can be found in stores like Whole Foods or Sprouts).
1 1/2 tsp. salt
*Note - when possible, ALWAYS weigh your ingredients vs. measuring. It helps to be more precise!
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Blend all ingredients together in a blender or food processor (I mean, can it get easier than that?)! I used my ninja blender, because they it's super easy to pour it directly into the muffin tins.
3. Grease your muffin tin with olive oil. Pour batter into muffin tins, filling each hole 3/4th of the way.
3. If you are using a mini muffin tin bake them for 15-20 minutes. If you are using a regular (large) muffin tin, bake them for 30-35 minutes. Regardless of the muffin tin, they should look all cute and "puffy" and lightly browned.
4. Put them on a cooling rack and TRY to wait at least a couple minutes to let them cool before popping them into your mouth! *this is from personal experience... do let them cool a bit... they trap hot air inside of them initially.
Let me know if you have any questions!