So... it's finally cooled off a LITTLE bit here in San Diego so that I can turn the oven on and not have my husband hate me. AND wanting to switch up our chicken routine a little bit and make something new, I decided to make a Paleo-ish but definitely Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan!
To be honest, this dish is WAY simple! All you need is chicken, almond flour, eggs, a little salt and seasonings, olive oil, and a jar of tomato sauce (and yes I will talk about how to choose a GOOD jar... you know... the ones that are shiny and tall and... just kidding - the ones with low sodium and sugar levels). Oh and I added mozzarella (as long as you are ok with cheese) and extra tomatoes (because I love them). Oh and as a plus, this is a GREAT dinner to make when you're mad because... you get to pound the chicken! AND, if you don't have a meat pounder (hehe) you can always use... say... an empty wine bottle... Don't have an empty wine bottle? Get at it. And on that final note, I will leave you with this delicious recipe!
Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Servings: 6
6 chicken breasts (thighs work also)
1 1/2c almond meal or almond flour (Bob's Red Mill Almond Flour is the best brand)
2 eggs (cage free, organic)
2 tsp italian seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1 Large Bottle of Tomato Sauce if you are rushed for time or want to make it easier. Feel free to use your own homemade sauce though! *See my Ingredients Recommendation List to learn how to choose a good tomato sauce.
4 tablespoons of olive oil
6 slices of mozzarella cheese (omit this if you want to make it fully Paleo or have a dairy intolerance)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Put the almond flour, salt, and italian seasoning in a bowl (large enough to lay a chicken breast flat in it) and mix.
3. Crack two eggs open and mix them in a separate bowl (same size as the almond flour bowl).
4. Get out a large skillet and heat up the 4 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat.
5. If you have a meat pounder, pound each of the chicken pieces flat. If you don't have a meat pounder, put the chicken in between two pieces of wax paper on a cutting board and then pound with a meat pounder (or other object such as a wine bottle or maybe even let your toddler go at it with their fists)!
6. Dip each chicken piece thoroughly into the eggs and then into the almond meal/flour mixture, and then place it into the heated skillet. Cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown (don't worry, they don't need to be cooked all the way through because they will continue cooking in the oven).
5. While the chicken is cooking, get out a 9x13 baking dish and spread out half of tomato sauce as a bottom layer. After the chicken is finished, place each piece onto the bed of tomato sauce in the pan.
7. Put into the oven for 15 minutes. While the chicken is cooking, cut 6 slices of mozzarella and dice the tomato.
8. Remove from the oven and place 1 mozzarella slice on each chicken piece, then cover the dish with the remaining tomato sauce and diced tomato. Place back in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and serve.
What are your variations on Chicken Parmesan? Any questions?