Lasagne is one of those thing that I used to make frequently before I went gluten free and crave at least once a month. I had a KILLER italian sausage lasagne recipe (with gluten), so I decided to just keep the recipe and find some ways to make the noodles gluten free.
I included two different ways to make this, one with zucchini as noodles and the other using gf store bought noodles. When I'm feeling like I need a little extra veggies/nutrients in my life I default to the zucchini. When I have the "pasta" craving, I use the gf noodles. You can technically make this with just grass fed beef instead of the italian sausage, but the sausage adds such flavor! Enjoy y'all!
Italian Sausage Lasagne (Gluten Free)
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 45 min. - 1 hour 15 min. (depending on noodles) Servings: 8
1 lb. Grass Fed Beef
3/4 lb. Italian Sausage (If you want a little kick to it, choose the spicier italian sausage - so good)
Choose your Noodles: 3 large zucchinis or 1 box of Gluten Free Lasagne Noodles (I buy "De Boles Rice Noodles" from Sprouts. If you are not near a Sprouts, here's a link to where you can buy them on Amazon: Gluten Free Lasagne Noodles).
12oz. mushrooms, sliced
1 jar of tomato sauce (or you can make your own)! See my notes on choosing a good sauce in my Ingredients Recommendation List.
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP of an italian blend (or you can use 1 tsp. of oregano, thyme, basil, rosemary, & sage)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 24oz. container of cottage cheese
1 1/2 tsp. parsley and 1 1/2 tsp. oregano.
1 16oz. package of spinach, chopped
2 C mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 C parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat up 1 tbsp. of olive oil in a large saucepan. If you chose to buy gluten free noodles, check the package and see if you need to boil them or not (the brand I use don't need to be boiled, they soften as they cook in the oven). If you are doing the zucchini noodle option, wash your 3 zucchinis and prepare your mandolin slicer (this is the mandolin slicer that I use: Swissmar Borner V-1001 V-Slicer Plus Mandoline) so that it slices medium thick flat noodles - about 1/4inch thick. You can also just slice the zucchini into thin rounds if you would like instead of strips. . After slicing them, saute the zucchini in the saucepan until softened and slightly crispy and then transfer to a plate. Drizzle the pan with more olive oil and add the mushrooms, sautéing them until browned as well. Transfer those onto a plate.
2. Add another TBSP of olive oil and add the garlic and onion. Stir until until fragrant and cooked then add the italian sausage and beef to the pan. Cook until browned and then season with the sea salt, pepper, and italian seasoning. Add your jar of spaghetti sauce and reduce heat to low, allowing the mixture to simmer for 15-30 minutes.
3. Take out the container of cottage cheese and mix in the egg, parsley and oregano with it. At this time, also make sure that your mozzarella cheese is shredded and that you have a 9x13 baking dish. I have found that the glass Pyrex work amazingly for lasagne.
4. Remove the meat mixture from heat, place next to the baking dish. Spoon enough to just cover the bottom (try to make it mostly sauce to save the meat for the middle) then follow with a layer of your noodles (GF or zucchini), then a layer of meat sauce, followed by a layer of cottage cheese mixture, the mushrooms, the spinach, and another layer of noodles, etc. (noodles, meat, cottage cheese, repeat). If you are using the GF noodles, make your top/last layer the meat and cottage cheese, then sprinkle 1 c of mozzerella on top (make sure that the top noodles are THOROUGHLY coated with the sauce and cottage cheese, otherwise they will not get soft). If you are using zucchini, make your last layer zucchini and likewise, sprinkle with 1 c of mozzarella and parmesan cheese if desired.
5. If using zucchini noodles, cover dish with tin foil and place in oven for 30 minutes. If using the gluten free noodles, cook for 1 hour. Then remove the tinfoil, sprinkle with the last cup of mozzarella and cook for 15 more minutes, uncovered. Remove and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.